As we approach 2021, and hopefully a return to the field for games against other clubs, we would like to bring to your attention the need for your club’s help in bringing NEW referees into your referee pool. We are facing a crisis in licensed referee numbers for 2021 if we do not get in front of the curve and address this proactively.
Normally by this time of the year (non-COVID), anywhere from 3,500 to 4,000 NEW referees would be registered for the 2021 registration year. Currently, the number stands at just 342.
As a soccer community, we need each and every club to proactively get the message out to your membership of the desperate need for new referees for the year 2021. The registration process will likely take longer than usual, so starting early helps to ensure that we will all have enough referees for games once we are able to return to competition in 2021.
What can NorCal Member Clubs do?
- Approach your existing membership (players, coaches, parents) about becoming a newly licensed referee for 2021.
- Provide prospective referees with the details to complete their online training (no in-person classroom or field session)
- New Referee Course (US Soccer) – ALL 4 assignments must be completed before you participate in the digital field session. YOU MUST PREREGISTER AND HAVE ALL ASSIGNMENTS DONE BY 5pm THE DAY OF THE DIGITAL FIELD SESSION.
This will take some planning so do not procrastinate.
- Sign up for a virtual field session
Requirements / Process to Become a New Referee
- CNRA New Referee Registration Info
- Any questions in regards to new referee signing up should be directed to Samantha Moos at [email protected]
- Referee candidates must be 13 years or older when they apply for their course.
- Course cost = $75.00
- Background Check = $30. Required for all referees aged 18 or older, and this may take up to 6 weeks to process.
- US Soccer – How to submit the Learning Center Background Check
- New Referee Course (US Soccer) Note that this link is ONLY good until the end of January.
- Sign up for a Virtual Field Session (Dates are Feb 11th 7:00pm, Feb 25th 7:00pm , March 11th 7:00pm, March 25th 7:00pm)
- For Region 9 new referees, they can use the above information to become a referee
If you have any questions please contact Moe Shafai at [email protected]