2019/20 Season Cancelled – Message from NorCal Board
April 22 PRESS RELEASE
April 5 UPDATE
A few weeks ago, US Club Soccer suspended competition until April 30th effective for all its members – including Norcal Premier Soccer. The NorCal Premier Soccer Board of Directors will meet after April 20 to look at all of our competitions options and create a new timeline, based on the latest guidance from US Club Soccer decision and medical and public health guidelines at the time.
March 12 UPDATE
NorCal Member Clubs,
After reviewing the updated guidance from the State of California, and the various county public health departments in Northern California regarding COVID-19, NorCal Premier Soccer will be suspending all competitions and events until March 31, effective immediately. This includes club-hosted games, NorCal-hosted games, Playdates, PDP, Coach Education events, US Soccer License courses, Referee Education events and club meetings. NorCal Member Clubs are advised to follow guidance from the State of California and their own county public health departments when making decisions on their own training programs & club operations.
With this being an evolving situation, we will continue to consult with public health department guidance and NorCal Member Clubs to plan for the remainder of the season. NorCal staff will be working over the next few weeks on various contingency plans for the 2019/20 season, including options for rescheduling competitions & events. Further details will be communicated to clubs at the appropriate time.
NorCal Premier Soccer Board of Directors
With the recent cases of the COVID-19 virus in California, we wish to communicate to all NorCal member clubs, teams, players, coaches, game officials & families about best practices to protect everyone at soccer events. We encourage everyone to follow the recommended guidelines from the California Department of Public Health to protect themselves and those around them from any virus including respiratory viruses like COVID-19. To help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, please follow these important tips:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, like in this video from the CDC. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- All adults and children should stay home when sick. Share this video with your children and loved ones to teach them to cover coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Individuals with chronic health issues and/or individuals experiencing severe symptoms should be evaluated by a medical professional.
- California Department of Public Health does not recommend the use of face masks for general prevention and says that hand-washing provides better protection from infectious diseases.
At this time, NorCal competitions & events will continue as scheduled. We will continue to monitor the situation, and update if there are any changes to this plan. In addition to the CDC & California Department of Public Health recommendations, please see the recommendations below for NorCal games & practices in order for us all to protect ourselves and those around us.
- Players or parents feeling ill should not attend NorCal soccer matches or practices
- No handshakes, high fives, fist pumps, chest bumps, huddles, group celebrations, etc.
- No pre or post game handshakes between players, coaches & officials – teams should continue to show good sportsmanship by clapping or cheering for the opposition team
- Drinks bottles should NOT be shared
- NPL Games – home team should NOT provide water jugs for communal usage, each player should bring their own drinks bottle
- Referees only should sign the game card – there should be a verbal acknowledgement from coaches that the information is correct so that the referee may sign
- If you bring food or drinks to games, please ensure that you discard of any items yourself
- All players & teams are advised to carry & use hand sanitizer
The NorCal Premier Soccer Board of Directors